Today we are at Montezuma Castle National Monument. Nestled in the face of a cliff in Camp Verde, Arizona is Montezuma Castle. It is just off Interstate 17.
We learn that some 600 years ago, the Sinagua People inhabited this pueblo ruin. This limestone cliff-dwelling with about 65 rooms was built by the peaceful Sinagua Native Americans between 1100 and 1350CE.
The site was designated one of America’s first national monuments in 1906 by President Theodore Roosevelt. The Sinagua were a pre-Columbian culture that occupied this area between approximately 500CE and 1425 CE. They abandoned the area just after the Sunset Crater Volcano eruption about 60 miles away in the 11th century. The Sinagua resettled the area around 1125 CE and it is believed this is when work on Montezuma Castle started.
The structure comprises 5 stories and was built over the course of 3 centuries. It’s not really a castle at all. It’s been called a prehistoric highrise apartment. It’s situated 90 ft up a sheer limestone cliff and faces Beaver Creek.
We chose to only walk the grounds near Montezuma Castle but there’s plenty of space to hike and enjoy the scenery around you and a great way to relax, vacation, and socially distance.
The entrance fee is $10 for 16 yrs and older. Free for under 16.
If you plan to go to multiple national parks, check out the Annual Pass for $80. That’s what we got.
Places we visit on this trip to Arizona:
- Montezuma Castle
- Sedona, Az
- The Grand Canyon National Park (AMAZING!)
- Winslow Az -Petrified Forrest
- Painted Desert
- Sunset Crater Volcano
Remember, in everything you do in life, Be Juicy and Live Life.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Flagstaff East
1000 North Country Club Dr, Flagstaff, AZ 86004
(Great Central location to visit many parks and activities) https://www.reservationcounter.com/hotels/show/6254f6e/fairfield-inn-suites-by-marriott-flagstaff-northeast-flagstaff-az/
- Grand Canyon National Park South Rim Bicycle Information https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/bicycling.htm
- Montezuma Castle National Monument- https://www.nps.gov/moca/index.htm U.S.
- National Parks Annual Pass-https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm
- Teespring Store: Be Juicy https://teespring.com/stores/journeywithjosh